Jim's back - but things worked beautifully while he was away.

JimJimJimJim

Jim Marshall (not a doctor) said ...

Today I am back from leave. I have had a great break. 

Amongst other things, Wendy and I spent a month travelling around in hire cars in New Zealand (both islands). We had a wonderful time. Every day the country offered us something beautiful to remember - scenery, wildlife, people. The weather was perfect, almost every day.

Except on the days we had to fly.

Any day we fly is complicated - taking care of our 2 mobility scooters, a CPAP machine and our drugs - all critical to our continued travel - as well as our other luggage and my special dietary needs.

But New Zealand managed to add to this some shocking flying weather - landing in the worst storm in 100 years in Christchurch, landing in vicious crosswinds in Queenstown, and a taking a battering by an ex-cyclone taking off in Auckland. 

I was delighted to return to find that the group had thrived in my absence. 

I would like to thank all those who contributed to the ongoing conversations. I must especially thank Alan Barlee, Paul Edwards, and Tony Maxwell for their contributions. My strongest thanks go to Nev Black, who besides his work as Secretary and his personal contributions to our members, took on calls forwarded from my phone. My heartfelt thanks to all.

In fairness to flying in New Zealand, I should add that some of the most wonderful and most memorable flights I have ever had have been in New Zealand, including ones visiting Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland airports.

Can I offer you a YouTube video (not mine) of a much more typical landing in Queenstown. (Back in my mountaineering days I climbed to the top of the highest peak you see in this video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxmFCw-Dig

Cheers

... end Jim

Archived