Participate in research to share men's experiences of prostate cancer and their working life after diagnosis

Nev Black

[We are all aware of the value of medical research for improving our quality of life.

For many men and their families the loss of income, from prostate cancer treatment and side effects can have huge ramifications for our working and social lives.

I urge you, as a member of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Support Group, to take some time out to contact the letter writer below, Wendy Liu, to assist with this research.

Please share your experiences with Wendy, good or bad, about ability to do work after prostate cancer diagnosis and how this is effecting you now, or affected you at the time of diagnosis, as you may be retired today.

A copy of the letter from Wendy is following.

A pdf file is also attached at the bottom of the page.

If you cannot open the pdf a couple of relevant items and contact details can be seen at the bottom of the page. Loss of income can be a big deal for many people so again I urge you to contact Wendy, by phone or email initially, and a interview will follow at another convenient time to share your experience. 

Thank you.  Nev Black]     

My name is Wendy Liu, a Research Fellow from the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation and School of Nursing, Queensland University of Technology (QUT). I am conducting a research project to understand the impacts of prostate cancer and its treatment on work participation for men. Maintaining and returning to work is an essential component of quality of life for men who choose to work after a diagnosis of prostate cancer.

We are inviting men to participate in this study and share their experiences and opinions about how the disease itself and its treatment impacts their work; what are the factors that promote and impede their ability to stay at work or return to work after their diagnosis. Participation in the study involves an individual telephone interview with an experienced researcher for approximately 30 minutes.

Your organisation/group appears in a list of prostate cancer support networks in Australia and we are seeking for your help with this study. This involves sending out a recruitment flyer to men affected by prostate cancer at your group meeting and/or via email or newsletters. 

Attached is a copy of the flyer that describes the study and provides our contact details. 

Please note that this study has been approved by the QUT Human Research Ethics Committee (approval number 1900000433).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the study.

Many thanks for your consideration of this request.

Yours sincerely

Dr Wendy Liu

Weihong.liu@qut.edu.au

Phone 07 3138 0466

Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI)

School of Nursing, Faculty of Health

Queensland University of Technology (QUT)

What is the purpose of the research?

Maintaining and returning to work is an essential component of quality of life for men who choose to work after a diagnosis of prostate cancer. The purpose of this research is to understand the impacts of prostate cancer and its treatment on work participation for men. We are inviting men to participate in this study and share their experiences and opinions about how the disease itself and its treatment impacts their work; what are the factors that promote and impede their ability to stay at work or return to work after a diagnosis of prostate cancer.

What will you ask me to do?

Your participation will involve an audio recorded telephone interview at a time convenient to you.

If you are interested in participating in this study, for details of the next step please contact:

Wendy Liu weihong.liu@qut.edu.au

or Phone 07 3138 0466

You will be provided with further information to ensure that your decision and consent to participate is fully informed.

Wendy Liu Participate in research_Prostate cancer and your working life_Flyer.pdf