Conovovirus

rogersb

I am wondering what those of us with advanced metastatic prostate cancer undergoing chemotherapy- carboplatin barcode2 trial in my case- should do to best protect ourselves. We have basically zero immune system function. Should we stop chemo? Should we self isolate for the duration that would be some 24 weeks is that realistic? Would appreciate others views and ideas at this time of even added stress 

I would not worry any more about coronavirus than any other infection. The incidence of Covid-19 is extremely low, and your risk of contracting it is almost zero. Any infection including a cold can put you in hospital. You need to be very careful all the time on chemo about hand washing And staying away from sick people.  Insist everyone who comes to visit you uses hand sanitiser. 

In 2018 I had 5 chemo sots with Docetaxel, and my immune system became weak right after No1 shot and I got a fever caused by something unknown so I went straight to hospital for 3 days. But for remaining 4 shots I had a community nurse drop by to give me an injection neulasta within 24 hours of getting chemo and that boosted my immune system so there was never any problem with infections again.

So far, Covid19 has low fatality rate for general population of less than 2%. But for anyone a bit older and with weakened immune system it could be deadly, so isolation is a good idea, and minimize all contact with friends and family et all.

Maybe think about using Skype for talking to the "chosen few". Its face to face, but germ free. 

If you have a wife, then you'd have to make sure she takes same precautions. I guess you'd have to both adhere to the rules. While my immune system was down in hospital, they insisted I wear a mask filter if I went anywhere to walk around. But when I questioned them about how their air conditioning system worked they had no idea, but I was never placed in a special isolation room which made sure air was kept free of viruses or bacteria. Air conditioning means some air is going out, some coming in, while being circulated around and heated or cooled. Seems to me that some expelled air could have germs that find their way back in through air intake. I have no idea how good the filters are for air coming into a hospital.

Instead of shaking hands, give ppl a salute, tell them they are wonderful. Pretend to blow kisses to females. Its all serious stuff, dealing with danger, but work to make ppl around you smile, and maybe that ain't so hard or worrying. 

What ever you do, don't try to buy more toilet paper than you need. I can only smile at such an absurd response in so many ppl when threatened by a virus which seems to terrify them so much. If I were you, if you are mobile, and caring for your self,  go shopping with a mask, wear thin rubber gloves, shop once a week when fewest ppl are at shop, and have a shower after getting home. Other ppl don't want to think that you are infectious.

But during my chemo, and with boosted immune system I just did all normal things, went out and about OK, and went cycling every day because the exercise is good to minimize side effects. I had a friend who worked in public service office and each winter he used to get at least 3 colds while never got any. The air is often sick in office buildings. My friend retired recently, and his health is better, no more bugs.  

Patrick Turner. 

Archived