Recommendation for Facility in Australia for PMSA

My husband and I are flying to Australia at the recommendation for the PMSA Pet Scan and were hoping to get any information about good facilities that have the PMSA and are reasonably priced. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I went to Northern Nuclear Medicine at Sydney Adventist Hospital, Wahroonga.

Ph. +61 294738750 - www.northernnuclearmedicine.com.au.  It was a couple of years ago and my recollection was the cost was about $1900.  I had no complaints about the service - just the result - not what I had wanted to hear.

I had my first PsMa gallium68 scan in Melbourne Bridge Road imaging near Epworth Hospital, about $700, in 2016.

Last year it became available in ACT at an imaging place in Garran, about $800. Both times the results were no cause for joy, and it seems to me it is the one scan which upsets so many blokes who felt / imagined their Pca had not spread.

I thought the expertise in ACT was better than Melbourne. But both scans were not full body, and onco says the thorax -pelvic "small scan" does not show if you have Pca in your big toe.

Onco wants me to have more scans now that Psa has risen from 2.7 to 3.2 in 2 months as the Abiraterone is beginning to fail to suppress the Pca, ie, Pca and my body have learnt to outwit yet another drug. So maybe they give me a full body CT scan, intern said, and I said maybe it cannot see what PsMa scan can see, so just what scan I get is being decided now.

I can afford the PsMa scan, but I don't know what happens with people without the dough, or whose insurance does not cover it, or are not insured because insurance premiums are a luxury only rich ppl can afford.  Maybe they'd have to sell something. 

Patrick Turner.

I had full body Pet Scan at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne  March17 it was done for free. I just had 2nd full body Pet Scan due to bone pain and it cost me $700. 

Why one free I don't know but I did not complain.

Good news, no PCA in bones, pain could be side effect of Zolodex or just to much weight resistance exercise.

I am based in Canberra, and a couple of years ago there were no PSMA scans available locally so in December 2016 I had a Ga68 PSMA scan carried out at Nepean Hospital in Penrith just to the west of Sydney and at the foot of the Blue Mountains.  We stayed at the Astina Apartments right across the road from the Hospital, literally 2 minutes walk.  At that time the scan was free, not sure why, but I think maybe the Nepean was building up it’s skill base.  No idea what costs are now.

My scan was was basically clear, but did highlight an “indeterminate spot” on my right scapula.

Move on to March 2018 and scans are now available in Canberra at the location in Garran mentioned earlier.  I had a repeat scan and that showed that the previous indeterminate spot on my scapula has now progressed to a fully identified met.  Full cost was $700, non refundable via Medicare or private insurance.

For someone travelling from overseas, I would imagine that a Sydney location would provide better options for sightseeing etc.  Penrith is actually not a bad location.  Little to do or see there, but good train services into Sydney and to the Blue Mountains.  Accommodation certainly much cheaper than in Sydney itself.

There are also options for scans in all the Capital cities, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Perth.  Not sure about Adelaide or Darwin.  The Peter Mac cancer centre in Melbourne has an excellent reputation and has conducted Lu177 trials.

Wish you the best of luck.  C’mon down, we’ll throw another shrimp on the Barbie!

Chas

The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne is doing the 68 Gallium PSMA PET/CT scan at a cost of around $600 to $700. Try calling them on +61 3 9076 2432 

I had a PSMA PET/CT at Royal Brisbane Hospital last year for free under our health scheme and I was treated well. I enquired and while they do scans for cash there is waiting list of 4 weeks at the moment and they would need a referral to work out the fee. Hope you have a nice and fruitful visit.  Cheers Colin

I had a Ga68 PSMA PET/CT scan at Wesley Medical Imaging, Wesley Hospital Brisbane in June 2017. I can't recall the cost but think it was around $700. The phone number for Wesley Medical Imaging is (07) 3371 9588.

Oz is an awful long way when the PSMA scan is available for $900 at UCSF just up the coast!  Not sure, but it even may be in trial at UCLA just down San Vicente!!! The better & fancier F18 PSMA trial is also available at UCSF.

Availability/location may depend on your husband's disease demographics - but I know one of our Board members with recurrent disease who lives on Maui got scanned at UCSF very recently.  Feel free to get in touch with me via rd@ancan.org of call me on 415 505 0924.

rick

www.ancan.org

PS ..... now if you want to stand on your head and truly see which way water goes down the plughole, that's another story 

I have had 2 PSMA scans in the last 2 years. They both cost $A700.00 each at Queensland X-Ray in Brisbane. This was carried out atThe Mater Private Hospital. The service was excellent and was carried out in 3 days of receiving the referral

Archived