YouTube video: Treatment for Metastatic Prostate Cancer in the Bones: Dr Alicia Morgans: Third of five videos

Admin

A new video every day for five days.

Prostate cancer that moves away from the prostate (metastasises) prefers to settle in bones.
This third video (in a series of five) deals with treatments for metastases to bone.

In videos in this series , expert medical oncologist Dr Alicia Morgans deals with:

• metastases to bone and bone scans;
  • prostate cancer in the spine;
  • treatments for prostate cancer metastases;
  • issues with hormone therapy treatment; and 
  • in a last very short video, Dr Morgans wishes to give men a special message about pain.

Subscribers to our YouTube channel are notified earlier than others.

My special thanks to:
Dr Alicia Morgans who kindly donated her time.
Member John Dowling, who got me and my gear to Melbourne, and was a very efficient Production Assistant.
Member Len Weis, who provided English Closed Captions (Cc) for the hard of hearing.
Anthony Lowe, CEO of the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA), who both invited us to interview Dr Morgans, and arranged a PCFA Education Grant to cover our expenses.

My oncologist has advised me that the Radium 223 treatment affects the marrow in the bone (which the lady assistant professor did not mention) and so he does not consider it a suitable treatment for me even if it became available. Months ago I had emailed our fed health minister about it (as suggested) but I have so far had no reply or acknowledgement. I am sure there are men who would have benefited significantly and/or lived longer if it had been made available three years ago (as in the UK).

Dr Morgans did mention bone marrow.

However, her bossy interviewer would only let her give very simple answers.

Then a ruthless editor cut out any extras on a 'need to know' basis.

Both were looking for a very short, very simple video.

For those wishing to know more about how things work, bone marrow, amongst other things, makes blood components.

Chemotherapy, radiation (regular, and in the blood like Xofigo), and some of the drugs you may take, affect the bone marrow.

The way you will often notice this is that a blood count test will show fewer red blood cells (called anaemia), and you may feel more tired (the side effects Dr Morgans did get included in the published video).

If treatments like chemotherapy, radiation (regular, and in the blood like Xofigo) and some of the drugs you have taken have affected the bone marrow, and your red blood cell count is low, or other blood components are low, your doctor will probably take this into account when looking at the next treatment to offer you.

Jim

• Admin locked this topic

Archived