Jim's Max Gardner Award and Question Time - Parliamentary Luncheon 14 February 2017

Nev Black

58a7e48f7bd14_JanePrenticeJimHughesAwardshotcopy.png.ebf2239ec440b65f6c82a178a1e000d1.png

Jim Marshall with Jim Hughes AM - National Chairman of the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA).

Many members were delighted when we heard last December that our convenor, Jim Marshall, was to be awarded the Max Gardner Award 2016.

The Max Gardner Award for Distinguished Service is the most prestigious award presented by Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA).

This award is not given lightly. Many, many hours of extremely dedicated work has been involved. Jim is indeed a very worthy recipient.

He has assisted many men and partners, including my wife and myself, over the last several years.

I was so happy for Jim that the presentation of this award could hardly have been fitter. It happened in the Senate Annexe of Parliament House Canberra, at the conclusion of a Parliamentary Luncheon opened and closed by Hon. Warren Entsch, MP, and Hon. Jason Clare, MP, co-chairs of the Parliamentary Friends of Prostate Cancer Awareness.

Jim was still on the floor in front of collected MPs and a few of his colleagues after the end of his address. All had just heard Jim's moving speech which showed everyone his passion and determination to work for men with advanced prostate cancer and their partners.

Jim Hughes AM, National Chairman of the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA) was called to the lectern. He told the assembly of some of Jim's key achievements over the years, then presented Jim with the Max Gardner Award - a large framed certificate and a small statuette. 

Both read:

Jim Marshall

In recognition of distinguished service and outstanding contribution in the Australian community

To top off Jim's day, as the assembled parliamentarians headed off for Question Time, Hon Jane Prentice, MP, Assistant Minister for Social Services and Disability Services, arranged for Jim (and all the "Jims") to have front row seats in the Gallery, where we all had a great view of a lively session.

58a7e4b476ebd_JanePrenticeJimAward02copy.png.46a54b393d7ce1bb1e532d60ee478f56.png

Picture from her blog, where Hon Jane Prentice, MP wrote: "Very thought provoking discussions with Jim Marshall & the other 'Jim's' at APH today to share their stories of fighting prostate cancer."

Nev

Hey Nev: A big thank you to you for keeping us members updated. Your reporting from trackside was much appreciated.... Well done son.

Lee aka popeye

NEV! Wonderful description so that all of us not present can feel we were there! As many of you know, I am another mentor but on a different island :) Come visit my website http://www.theprostateadvocate.com.    

I hear the Courier-Mail is looking for a journalist for reporting on Men's Health Issues. You should be a ring in. Excellent set of Canberra reports, very well done.

Cheers

David

Wonderful news Mr. M ...... and no worthier winner. We are delighted for you and honored that you participate in our virtual meetings!

Onward & upwards, rd

Congratulations Jim on the award of the Max Gardner Award.   Also thank you to everyone who works so hard for all the families affected by prostate cancer.  You are much appreciated.
Best Wishes

Snowy and Joan King

• Admin locked this topic

Archived