Happy Birthday, Chuck, from your Aussie Mates

Paul Edwards

Our Group is very lucky to have Chuck Maack, the highly respected American prostate cancer advocate and mentor, as a member.   He is a recipient of the "Harry Pinchot Award" from the Prostate Cancer Research Institute and of the Us TOO "Edward C. Kaps Hope Award". 

Today is Chuck's 83rd birthday.

Here's a brief description by the man himself of those past 83 years:

"December 11th will be 83 years since the day I was born in Oshkosh (B'Gosh), Wisconsin.  Left Oshkosh the day after I turned 17 to begin what became my Naval career that continued over the next 27 years as a Cryptologic Technician in Navy communications special intelligence and fortunately advancing from the bottom as a Seaman Recruit to the top as Master Chief.   After retiring from Naval service the last day of 1976 I worked in management positions until I fully retired in January 1995 figuring I better take advantage of Social Security before I bite the dust and then the government reap that portion I worked for. Turns out I got the better part of that deal with my current "longevity" still drawing Social Security 20 years later :) and still counting.  The Navy turned a kid with no future to a man educated and trained by the Navy to roles of leadership. And that service to others resulted in my eventual need to research and study this insidious men's disease, both to make sure of my own appropriate care as well as serve as a mentor to hopefully provide encouragement and assistance to my brothers in this dubious fraternity and their caregivers.  I intend to continue in this role as long as my health, faculties, and ability to continue research and study permits."

Chuck, we hope that you have a very happy birthday and that there are many more of them.

Ah, my "Down Under" friends....I so deeply appreciate your Birthday Wishes.  Would that I were a skilled physician that could diagnose, treat, and eradicate all cancers.  Not being so I dedicated my retirement to research and study prostate cancer in order to serve as a mentor at least helping my male brothers and their caregivers understand our insidious men's disease, its appropriate treatment, and treatment of the side effects that unfortunately accompany most treatment options.

Archived