Antibiotics : Treating cancer like an infectious disease

Paul Edwards

Thanks to Chuck Maack for alerting us to this.

Previous clinical trials with antibotics (intended to target cancer-associated infections, but not cancer cells) have already shown positive therapeutic effects in cancer patients, although no-one considered their ability to eradicate cancer stem cells.

Researchers have shown in laboratory studies that 4-to-5 different classes of antibiotics can be used to eradicate cancer stem cells in a number of different types of cancer, including prostate cancer.

They suggest that it may be possible to treat cancer like an infectious disease, by using the antibiotics for anti-cancer therapy.

The antibiotics inhibit mitochondrial biogenesis which is necessary for the cancer stem cells to make clones and survive. (Biogenesis is the production of new living organisms).  Many of these antibiotics are non-toxic for normal cells.

Since these antibiotics are already approved for use in humans, trials of new treatments using them should be simpler than with new drugs.

Click on this sentence to read a report about this research.

• 4 months later...

It is interesting that, of all the antibiotics tested, Doxycycline was the only one mentioned in respect of possible doses (pp10, 200mg per day) and is currently being used in clinical trials for the treatment of Breast  Cancer and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

It also mentions that it is used for the long-term treatment of prostatitis. Perhaps an analysis of patients treated for prostatitis with doxycycline and their subsequent chances of developing prostate cancer would be useful?

Thanks, Geoff, for looking at this more closely and sending me down an interesting path of enquiry.

Looking at Google Scholar, there has been a lot of research on Doxycycline and Prostate Cancer going back to the late 1990s.

Doxycycline and other existing drugs (where there are many cheap generic equivalents readily available) have little or no commercial value to the pharmaceutical industry and this means little interest by them in clinical trials.

I notice that Doxycycline was one of the drugs used by Ben Williams of survivingterminalcancer.com fame.

Guest ironic

Thank you for posting about this, i have received some benefit from the information.

In March 2012 i started coughing up blood clots. (After a 6 month holiday from Luprin, intermittant ADT was not a good choice in my case. Gleeson 9)

Then back on single Zoladex till march 2014, when my lungs were bleeding quite a lot, That was when Cosudex was added, as PSA was rising over 7.  my doctors saw the shadow and thought it was pneumonia, so Antibiotics didn't work at first, (i asked for my money back ha ha.) Then other antibiotics were tried, and finally worked. For a time and the bleeding came back 6 weeks later, and my GP kept the records, and by august was controlled.

feb 2015 i was sent to the Respiratoty Physician, and he remarked that it is not pneumonia but just bleeding from a lesion near a blood vessel. I showed him a print out of this study, and he agreed that he prescribes Doxyclcline long term for patients with bronci†is poblems. 

I have been on 2 x 50 mg tablets since 7 feb 2015 and the blood coughing has reduced to 5 ml per day (morning)

Thanks again for posting about this study.

Thanks, do you think the doxycycline has had any effect on your PCa (via PSA tests or scans)?

Guest ironic

The following 6 weeks, after begining Doxycycline my PSA was rising quite fast, as the Zoladex / cosudex was not working so well. However The lungs responded quite well. Perhaps the Doxycycline may be of benefit over the longer term.

Firmagon / Avodart seem to have halted the  fast rising PSA for now.

I will be at the
Westmead support group on monday at 6: 30  if you would like to chat.

Ron 

Archived