Paul Edwards

JNJ-56021927 (formerly known as ARN-509) is an androgen receptor antagonist.    Some prostate cancer cells require androgens for growth.  JNJ-56021927 prevent androgens from binding to the prostate cancer cells’ androgen receptors.

JNJ-56021927 is not as advanced in its development as enzalutamide (Brand name Xtandi).   Results from initial clinical trials suggest that JNJ-56021927 may be more potent and effective than enzalutamide.

A Phase 3 Randomized, Placebo-controlled Double-blind Study of JNJ-56021927 in Combination With Abiraterone Acetate and Prednisone Versus Abiraterone Acetate and Prednisone in Subjects With Chemotherapy-naive Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer is being conducted. 

Details of this trial can be found by clicking on this link: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02257736

This clinical trial is being conducted at a number of hospitals in most Australian states.  I am aware that the Royal Melbourne Hospital has commenced recruitment of patients for this trial.  I'm not aware of the recruitment status of the other Australian sites but I expect that these sites will commence recruitment shortly, if they are not already doing so.

There will be 2 arms of the trial.

Patients on the 1st arm will receive Abiraterone, Prednisone and JNJ-56021927.

Patients on the 2nd arm will receive Abiraterone, Prednisone and a placebo.

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the post.  I have followed the link and (I hope) registered to be part of the trial.  I have nominated the site at Woolloongabba, which I believe should be either Princess Alexandra Hospital or the APCRC or both, but I am yet to hear anything back.  I have also put my oncologist onto it, and she is attempting to follow up for me, so here's hoping.  I will post on the Forum once I hear anything back.

Cheers

Kerry Drinkwater

• 2 weeks later...

The trial is being run at Princess Alexandra Hospital with Dr Elizabeth McCaffery as the Principal Investigator.  Jennifer Suffolk  (phone 07 3176 7825) is the Clinical Trials Co-Ordinator at PA. You'll need a referral from your oncologist or GP.

Thanks all, I am off for a CT on Tuesday to make sure they can map my bone lesions as a precursor to entry to the trial.  Interestingly the lesions showed up on both the PET scan I had at the Wesley with Gallium 68 and associated CT, but they want a new CT to confirm and then they will do their own CT prior to me being "randomised"  in the trial groups.  I will keep you all posted of developments.

Archived