Dr Snuffy Myers: breakfast may send you to Hell in a handbasket

Admin

In this 8 minute video presentation, Dr Snuffy Myers says that if metabolic syndrome is a problem, a very common breakfast of cereals, fruit and milk is leading people to 'hell in a handbasket'.

For anyone:

• already diabetic,
  • pre-diabetic, or
  • at risk of metabolic syndrome because they are on androgen deprivation therapy (ADT)

Dr Myers advises a breakfast that has a balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat will:

• satisfy your body's needs;
  • avoid a surge in insulin; and
  • keep you from craving carbohydrates later in the morning.

For the breakfast protein component, he recommends 20-30 grams of protein. He likes:

• soy milk
  • soy protein powder (He takes 100mg of Novasoy brand soy isoflavone twice a day. He warns of a report by Dr Bob Leibowitz that soy can have the wrong effect on some men, and advises you to consult your doctor before starting a significant soy contribution, and to have regular PSA checks to see you are not one of these men.)
  • non-fat cottage cheese
  • salmon
  • egg whites, and
  • whey protein, which he says is the highest quality protein of these.

{jm: If you remember Junket (also known as curds and whey), the chunky white bits are the curds (which become cheese) and the clearish fluid is whey. From elsewhere I read that pure whey isolate prepared using cross-flow ultra flitration is best. And from elsewhere I read that one man sweetened his drink with a little xylitol (sugar and other sugar substitutes apparently partly defeat the purpose) and some cocoa powder. Another man mixed his with juice, sweetener and water. I have no personal experience yet of whey protein isolate, but have had in the past to use powdered foods and found them very convenient.}

For the breakfast fat component, Dr Myers recommends a tablespoon of olive oil, or nuts with the right oil balance:

• macadamia,
  • almonds,
  • hazelnuts,
  • cashews,
  • pistachio,
  • pine and pumpkin seeds

for instance.

(NOT peanuts, walnuts or pecans).

Olives and avocados are also a good source of monounsaturated fat.

In this video Dr Myers does not expand on the carbohydrate component.

My guess is that this could be taken up by:

• Low GI fruit or vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, dark leafy greens, carrots, melons, berries, citrus, apricots, and grapes,and/or
  • whole-grain foods such as whole wheat breads and crackers, wheat pasta, brown or wild rice, whole grain cereals, wheat pita bread, brown rice cakes, barley, oats, millet, quinoa, or spelt.

Not your grandfather's breakfast!

See the video here:

Snuffy on breakfast

Archived