Bruce Kynaston's (short) story

Bruce Kynaston

A DRE by the GP in December '96 revealed a nodule, when the PSA was 'normal' for my age. TRUS biopsy confirmed PCa. My reading of the microscopy report and the knowledge of the nodule convinced this retired radiation oncologist that surgery was at risk of positive margins, so I had EBRT, 60 Gray in 6 weeks as my bone scan had revealed what was accepted as Paget's disease, not bone secondaries. At 10 years the scan was unchanged. PSAs fell then gradually rose to an accepted level for a prostate several years after treatment.

Recent annual levels have been 3.9, 4, 3.8, 6.4, 9.2 (Feb. '11)

My urinary stream is diminished and I am to be reviewed by my urologist regarding this. He accepts why I am having 'watchful waiting' at my age of 80, being now 15.5 years since EBRT. I am generally well and have no desire to undermine my wellbeing with ADT under the present circumstances.

I have always said at support group meetings, and I attend several to help men, that I might one day join the ranks of those with advanced disease. I guess I have, so I continue my support work to help my fellows in this category.

Welcome to the forum, Bruce.

Over the past 2 years I have seen your words of wisdom ease the minds of quite a number of men at support group meetings.

I am sure your participation here will be equally valuable.

It's a bit of a bummer that you are having to change your status to "Advanced", but I guess that's the nature of the beast we are all battling.

Thanks again for joining us.

Jim

Archived