When will Xofigo be publicly funded in Australia?

Paul Edwards

Xofigo (radium 223) is a radioactive material that specifically targets bone metastases from prostate cancer.

Xofigo (radium 223) is administered intravenously in hospital and is regarded as a medical service.  This means that the application for it to be publicly funded must be made to the Medical Services Advisory Committee.

The applications for new cancer drugs to be publicly funded are made to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee.

According to Bayer, the manufacturer of Xofigo (radium 223), the policies that apply to listing on the Medical Benefits Schedule are different from the policies that apply to listing on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

April 2014 Recommendation that Xofigo be listed on the Medical Benefits Schedule.

It has been more than 2 years since the Medical Services Advisory Committee recommended that Xofigo (radium 223) be listed on the Medical Benefits Schedule.  Bayer disagreed with the proposed pricing arrangements that the Medical Services Advisory Committee recommended.

What's happening now?

Unfortunately, nothing.  There appears to be a stalemate.

A fellow Victorian sufferer with advanced prostate cancer has shared with me the copy of a recent letter that he has received from Bayer.

Has anyone been able to get access to Xofigo outside of a clinical trial?

Tony - If you're prepared to pay the commercial rate for Xofigo, then it's available in Australia.  I think that it's about $60,000 for 6 treatments, but don't hold me to that figure.

• 1 month later...

Lowe-PCFA.png

Pleasing to see that Dr Anthony Lowe and PCFA are raising this issue. 

"Waiting for Radium 223

Frustratingly, long negotiations continue between the company selling Radium-223 and the government.  Meanwhile many men who may be helped by this drug remain without.  Fortunately clinical trials are being performed that can give some patients access to Radium-223 whilst the talks continue. "

Archived