Stereotactic Radiation in the Press

Paul Edwards

An article from today's Herald-Sun newspaper about stereotactic radiation at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne

To read the article, click on this link.

I would appreciate being forwarded any future information that comes out regarding this "one-time" procedure.  At this point in time sounds a bit scary to me in the use of what is likely extremely high dose radiation if encompassing the entire prostatic bed and its periphery; UNLESS, for prostate cancer this will be considered more for direct targeted tiny beam radiation to a specific tumor location.  

Hi Chuck

Stereotactic radiation is not used for treatment of the entire prostatic bed and its periphery.

I've been involved in a clinical trial of this treatment at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre (more details in "My Story" elsewhere in these forums). About 18 months ago I had 3 mets (2 lymph nodes and 1 bone) treated.  A recent PET Scan shows no evidence of cancer in these treated areas.

The treatment involves multiple low dose beams which converge at the focal spot to produce a large aggregate dose.

Archived