Looks like I may be about to step onto the slippery slope!

Guest Sandychill

Guest Sandychill

Posted with permission for Sandychill.

icon_post_target.gifby Sandychill » September 6th, 2011, 2:22 am

Yesterday I received blood test results and an MRI scan report which are ominous. Changes are:

• PSA has risen from 0.10 to 0.12; my GP commented that the accuracy of the results could be misleading. That may be the case, but what is significant is my PSA has stopped falling.
  • There is a small amount of degeneration of my spine which does not appear to be significant in terms of the tumour.
  • A left pelvic mass (26mm short axis) has developed which could be my lymph nodes. Alarming!

I am seeing my radiation oncologist on Wednesday and medical oncologist on Friday to review these results and decide the way forward.

Looks like I may be about to step onto the slippery slope!

Posted with permission for tonymax.

by tonymax » September 6th, 2011, 3:27 pm You may like to look at the available trials before you visit the doctors.

See Tony's list of clinical trials:

http://advancedprostatecanceraustralia.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/284-find-clinical-trials-tonys-list/

Posted with permission for Girlie Man.

by Girlie Man » September 6th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Hi Sandy,

I agree with Tony. Do not get too hung up on a single PSA result the PSA test is not nearly as accurate as we would like to think that it is. On the one hand when they send identical samples to multiple labs which the government does on occassion the variation in results are unbelievably large. In addition here is a comment from QPCN April 2010 Greg Ward from Sullivan Nicholaides Pathology states:

There are also biological changes which can affect PSA on a day-to-day basis. A PSA of 4.5 could be 4.0 on one day and 5.0 the next. These biological variations can be caused by rectal examinations, biopsies, exercise, bike or horse riding, sexual activity, prostate massage or from infection such as prostatitis or from benign prostate enlargement (BPH). Some activities can cause larger variations than others and if you’re having a blood sample taken for a PSA test it should at least 3 – 7 days after a DRE, 7 days after a prostate massage, transrectal ultrasound or cystoscopy and 24 – 48 hours after ejaculation.

Cheers, Euan

Archived