mrs

mumof2

My hubby is being tested for prostate cancer...doc is pretty sure thats what it is after feeling his prostate amid other symptoms but we are awaiting scans and hopefully a biospy in jan 2020...his first psa level was 36 and a couple weeks later was 40...I'm a bit concerned as everything we read on the net is so confusing and contradicting...some say a score of 40 is bad others say not so bad...he is 73 years old...we are just looking for some information so if he is diagnosed we know what treatments are available or what questions we should ask...any assistance would be greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Your husband’s PSA level indicates there is a high likelihood of prostate cancer. The tests proposed by his oncologists will quickly determine if this is the case and what stage the cancer has reached, but make sure you keep on their back to get the scans and biopsy done without delay.

Whilst there is a plethora of information on the net, the information on the Cancer Council site is up to date, accurate and most informative for someone newly diagnosed. I suggest you check the section of the site relating to local support groups and make contact with your local support group.  Their services are free and a great starting point to gain the information you are seeking.

If possible, it is a good idea to visit a support group meeting before deciding on any particular treatment. Members can give you first hand information as to what treatments are available and what things to consider including types of treatment and costs etc before your husband commits to any specific type of treatment. However, once diagnosed if diagnosis is positive - treatment should not be delayed.

Barree

Thankyou Barree he has just had his prostate mri yesterday and we are waiting for a date for the biopsy...hubby has trouble with anastesia (sp) so has to be at one of the bigger hospitals just in case...then hopefully we will get some answers

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so has had biopsy and seen the urologist this week has a gleeson score 9 but they say it doesn't look like it has left the prostate area but we have a scan on the the 21st to see the body and see if it has spread or is localised

• 1 month later...

we have been waiting months to get everything started and now it looks like we have a tentative date of the 16th april to start radiotherapy...so 5 months in total before any treatment...that seems so long to me is it the same for everyone? I am scared in all this time it has been spreading..

mumof2, I can only give you my story, referred by GP to Urologist 1/4/16, seen Urologist 20/4/16 where he told me after DRE that I had PC and had to have biopsy to find the extent of it. Had a biopsy 3/5/16.

Bottom line a Gleason 4+5=9. Had a Nuclear bone scan 30/5/16 and an abdomen and pelvis scan on 2/6/16.

Seen rad/ oncologist 16/6/16,  started Lucrin injections on 23/6/16 and Enzalutemide caps 24/6/16. I had 2 pelvic lymph nodes that had pc which were zapped with radiation that started 10 weeks after hormone treatment started.

I can't comment on where it could have went after 5 months, that would only show by him having another scan

I wish you and your husband all the best.

Regards,

KM

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby finally started treatment last thursday...I'm not happy it took so long, we don't know if it has spread further or not but I guess once he has finished his 39 treatments we will see!!

• 1 month later...

Hubby is down to 11 treatments left and next week going to have his 2nd hormone shot, he seems to be handling the treatment well and they say when he is done we have to wait 2 months before we know any results...that seems to long for me but I guess they know what they are doing..they say the body needs time to settle down but my thought is if he isn't clean then how far can it spread in 2 months...so fingers crossed for the best news...and hoping those 2 months go quickly

Archived