Lutetium-177 PSMA research - done and planned

Admin

An interesting account by Professor Michael Hofman at the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference in Basel, Switzerland recently.

He speaks of the Lutetium-177 (Lu-177) treatment his team and others have done or are planning:

https://www.urotoday.com/video-lectures/apccc-2019-conference/video/1467-players-brightcove-net2019-09-10-14-49-08.html

Below the video is a full transcript - all the words Professor Hofman says in the video.

Thanks to Nev and Lorraine

How do we get an explanation of Lu 177 PSMA for dummies like me.

Hofman speaks clearly but very fast and jumps from one aspect to another with bewildering speed.

At the end of his talk I realised I had learnt nothing.

How do I get a handle on this?

Regards           Tony Max

Hi Tony Max, The video link has text that you can read slowly.

Its obvious Professor Hoffman is doing well on research, getting good results.

But he does not mention the commercial operation of Theranostics Australia which would have now treated maybe 800 patients. When I had 4 x Lu177 shots at TA I was not in such horrible condition as many men in Hoffman's trials but Psa has gone from 25 before Lu177, to 0.4 now. No more pain symptoms of Pca for months now, hardly any dry mouth, able to cycle 50km. But the failed chemo side effects I had before Lu177 are lingering, so lost another 1kph average speed on bicycle.

But at 72, I average 20kph. At 40, and in excessively fit condition, I averaged 30kph. The lesser amount of cycling I am doing is enough to keep me in good enough condition. I may have more Lu177 later if needed, it will be probable, but 40 months survival from now seems very possible, that's over 3 years, and more will be known by then, so Hoo Noze how long I'll last.

Hoffman talks about doing Lu177 as initial therapy. It would have suited me very well in 2009 when I had a Gleason 9, 9/9 positive samples, and inoperable, with lots of Pca outside capsule. 

My docs for Lu177 have said nothing to me about Pca mets I have which don't have PsMa avidity. This is luck if ever I heard it, because one reason why Lu177 fails in some men is that a large portion of their mets does not have PsMa avidity, and Lu177 is useless at those sites. 

Is not life good?

Fight on man,

Patrick Turner.  

It’s gratifying to see and to have been a small part of some of this ground breaking research work which is being done here in Australia by Professor Hofman and his colleagues. I had the good fortune to be a patient on some of Professor Hofman’s clinical trials and part of the team at Peter Mac involved in seeking and gaining the necessary funding for ongoing  research work related to this and Lutetium177.

Thank you Barry,  and those other members like you, for years of commitment, searching out trials and being part of those trials, giving those of us following so much hope for the future.

Truly appreciated. 

May you continue with better health into the years ahead.

Nev

Im waiting for my blood to recover enough to have my first LU 177 dose.  I am currently in hospita  (third visit )l  on morphine , and if it does  improve by next week it will be cabatixel to try to slow it down.  Herre,s hoping for positive outcome

Will be thinking of you Kezza2.

You have had a tough year.

'When the going gets tough, the tough get going.'

We are definitely hoping for a positive outcome for you.

Nev

Have read the text and it is a bit easier to follow but lots of stuff I still dont understand.

I am not critical of Prof Hofman or the benefits many guys are getting from Lutetium.

I just want to understand how it all works - both here and overseas

Lutetium for dummies in other words

Tony

Should have a discussion on Lutetium 177 and the necessary scans, before Lutetium 177, on the telephone meeting tomorrow morning, perhaps.

Nev 

Archived