Five or fewer mets: YouTube video of your options: PCRI’s Executive Director, Mark Scholz, MD: 5 minutes

Admin

Jim Marshall (not a doctor) said ...

When prostate cancer goes away from the prostate it is said to metastasise.

Each new cancer location is called a metastasis (or 'met').

When the disease starts to move, and you have just a few mets, that is 'oligometastatic' prostate cancer.

PCRI’s Executive Director, Mark Scholz, calls that 'Basic Royal'.

In this five minute YouTube video he discusses the options for men with just a few mets.

Dr Scholz is a key presenter at the Prostate Cancer Research Institute (PCRI) Annual Prostate Cancer Patient Conference in Los Angeles in 40 days time. Details on the PCRI website: https://pcri.org/

... end Jim

We all appreciate the "Royal treatment"!!!

Thanks Jim/Mark,

Canook

Thanks Jim for the video very timely.

Popeye

I consult with a Dr in the US who has been talking about this for a while now. I've only ever had two mets and one on my right femur cleared up about two years ago and has stayed clear, post-chemo and hormone therapy. I've been having PSMA PET scans every six months for the past two years and they have shown no new micro metastasis. He recommended having the one remaining met treated with targeted stereotactic radiation with I did in August last year in the hope that it might put me into remission, even though my oncologist here was sceptical. This doesn't seem to have had the desired effect, the rib met is still there and when I had a break from Zoladex due to alarming side effects, including almost suicidal depression, my PSA has risen quite rapidly. I'm now on Xtandi and still with only one met  and would love to think there is an alternative to ongoing hormone therapy which, at 54, I find deeply debilitating. My oncologist here remains sceptical of this approach but hopefully it will gain more widespread acceptance and offer men like me the prospect of a cure. Even though my own experience didn't work out this time I remain hopeful that the right combination of targeted and systemic treatments could.  

Archived