Voluntary Opportunity to Assist Convenor Jim Marshall

Nev Black

This is a resend of a posting I did on 19 June. Nothing new if you saw that one.

However, it has been brought to my attention, some systems that check for safe mail have sent that posting to purgatory.

It seems that one of the rules of these systems concerns details of a financial account.

So, banking account details have been left out of this post to give it a better chance.

I will update this posting on the forums with those bank details shortly after I see that it is sent out.

You will have to click on the Go to this Topic button at the bottom of this email to see it

‘Many of you will know that, since he founded this group nine years ago, Jim Marshall has put in an enormous amount of time and effort on behalf of men with this disease and their partners.

Some of us know that he also has made a substantial personal financial contribution over the years.

The short story is that on Saturday Jim’s seven-year-old computer went bang and cannot be repaired. The sort of YouTube video work Jim does is best done on a powerful computer. Checking on apple.com, I see the price of an updated model of Jim’s current 27” iMac, with plenty of memory, and disk, etc is quite expensive. With the series of (non-prostate) adverse events Jim has gone through recently, I know this is currently beyond his resources.

Having been on new-member or existing-member calls with Jim, I know that grateful people often offer to make a contribution, so I suggested a ‘Go-fund-me’ type of campaign.

But Jim has always been wary of the group having any member charges or requests for donations which may discourage anyone with limited funds from joining in. 

So, I am suggesting that a few of us who are financially comfortable might get together and help with at least a new computer. Jim is more comfortable with this.

Reply to this email if you feel you are in a position to help, email me at

Secretary@JimJimJimJim.com

or call me on 0419 673 096.

The necessary details of the account will be here on the forums if you click the Go to this topic button at the bottom of this email. If not, give me another 5 minutes and try again. Nev.

You may wish to contribute directly into Jim’s account:

Name: JE & WA Marshall

Bank: Commonwealth Bank

BSB   064141

A/C: 00400292

Note: Anything you contribute in this way will not, of course, be a tax-exempt.

If tax-exempt if important to you, you may wish to consider giving to PCFA which has always been very generous in its support of this group, and of our leader, in many ways.

Please Note:   Jim has met with a PCFA Official Representative and we are now able to offer Tax Deductable Receipts for contributions towards the new computer.

Please let us know if you would like an official receipt arranged for you.

Nev

But, why does PCFA not also cater for Jim’s extra communication and computer needs?

You have to go back in history for this. Just as we joined them PCFA made two decisions for all groups:

They would no longer pay for a computer for each group;

They would no longer pay the actual cost of phone and internet, giving a fixed allowance of $20 per month for each, for each group, instead.

Your executive committee asked to be an exception given the nature of our mission, but PCFA leadership at the time felt unable to make an exception to their new rules. So Jim and Wendy have borne those extra costs on our behalf for the years since.

Thank you.

Nev

Hi Nev, I am placing some funds to Jim's account and hope this will help with his new PC. Regards Charlie Thurgood.

I have done the same and hope that the grand total is sufficient. If not, please let us know.

Hey Nev: Hope things are well with you and Jim. Just letting you know I just transferred a small amount into Jims account as well. I hope we can do it for him ASAP.

Lee aka Popeye

I also made a contribution into Jim's account. I hope it is getting close to the target.

Regards

John_H_T

Me too.

Alan

Archived