Has there been any research on the correlation of ADT hot flushes and anxiety?

Darby

As mentioned in another thread I started Lucrin Depot quarterly injections in March 2017.  I had my most recent one last Monday.

Previous thread

I've had hot flushes the whole time since 2017 except for a few months when I was taking Androcur (stopped taking it in April this year).  I've noticed over the last few months that the flushes have become noticeably longer-lasting and 'wetter' but, perhaps, not as frequent (still have at least 6 or so every 24 hour more often in bed).  Also on occasion a flush was definitely brought on by an anxious or stressful thought.   For example, about 2am this morning in bed, I was thinking about some gardening my wife and I had done the previous afternoon.  There's a slight slope in the garden and I had a sudden picture of my wife falling down.  This instantly started a vigorous flush.

The flushes are not always associated with anxiety but I was just wondering if a discussion of a correlation between flushes, ADT and anxiety has ever come up?

Hot flashes are defined as an intense heat sensation, flushing and diaphoresis that usually involve the face and trunk. Associated symptoms may include anxiety and palpitations. Episodes often occur repeatedly and usually last for a few to several minutes, but can persist for up to 20 min. Many patients only report mild consequences from their symptoms and only experience these sporadically. However, some patients experience multiple hot flashes each day and report significant effect on daily functioning and quality of life.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3338189/

Hello Darby,

You probably do not want to hear this but starting in June 16 I started having Lucrin depot injections in conjunction with Enzalutamide capsules and that continued for 96 weeks as part of a clinical trial. I suffered numerous side effects of which hot flushes were one of them. Always of a night only and about 4 times max.

I have now been off the treatment for 32 weeks, after the trial finished and I still suffer from the side effects and in fact the hot flushes are somewhat more uncomfortable, but still only of a night.

I have read at different times that for some, side effects can last indefinitely and others have them for a short time, after treatment. We are all different.

I am happy to accept whatever I receive as because of the trial I have been in remission for 21 months, which is a good result, in comparison to others on this site.

All the best.

Hi Kevin,

My oncologist did warn me that the Lucrin side effects particularly the flushes could last for a long time after stopping the injections.

The night time ones are the worst, aren't they?  My bedroom smells musty these days and I have to put my pillows out in the sun every morning.

That good news on your remission and I hope it continues for a long long time.

All the best.

Ron.

I also suffer from anxiety & non anxiety related flushing and sweating whilst on ADT.

G'day Darby,

Here's a short extract from a current December 2018 Symposium report that refers to a medication successfully trialled for hot flashes in women having  breast cancer treatment. Mention is made of other drugs used for this purpose at the Mayo Clinic. 

You might want to follow up with your medicos whether any of these could be applicable to men with prostate cancer.

Let's know how you get on.

Cheers,

Alanimage.png.3be995df6b56827fde81f53058c1a9f1.png   

• 3 months later...

I'm happy to report that two years to the day when I had my first Lucrin injection and the day that I was due to have my next shot, my oncologist is giving me a 12 to 18 months break from it. The length of time is dependent on quarterly PSA and testosterone tests.  Apparently it may take weeks to months for relief from the hot flushes which became so much more frequent and intense over the last 6 months or so. 

Archived