Update on my treatment

Worried Man

It's Worried Man from Fountain Hills, AZ with an update.  I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer on 12-1-2016.  My PSA was 283 and I began treatments with Eligard.  I am still on Eligard every six months.  Last September I was told I had a bad lesion on my left femur.  They wanted me to have that spot treated with external radiation.  Because I stayed up with the latest treatments, I knew about Xofigo (radium 223), I suggested that to my oncologist and he referred me to a radiation oncologist.  I received six injections of Xofigo ending in Feb. 2018.  Subsequent bone scan showed no new lesions in the bones, Doctor said that means we got the cancer, at least in the bones.

Recently I received some info on the Latitude and Stampede studies.  They show a remarkable extension of life if Zytiga (Abiraterone) is given before a man becomes castrate resistant.  I am not.  I will begin my treatment with Zytiga along with prednisone on this coming Monday.

I want to share this with you and your members to show how important it is to be your own advocate.  Don't hesitate to call if you have questions. 

G'day Worried Man

I noticed you are on 6 month Eligard injections. I have my Eligard injection every 28 days, by choice.

We are still waiting for Xofigo to become available in Australia (unless you are prepared or able to afford tens of thousands of dollars for the treatment).

Hopefully by the end of this year it will be a more affordable, available option in this country, for those suitable.

I look forward to hearing the next chapter of your story.

Best wishes Nev

Hello Worried Man (have a name?)  Is your Medical Oncologist including continued Eligard?  If not, the combination of usual ADT meds plus adding aibraterone/Zytiga is currently recommended based on current trials. In the STAMPEDE trial, men with newly diagnosed locally advanced or metastatic disease who were randomized to ADT with abiraterone and prednisolone had a 37% reduction in their risk for death and a 79% reduction in their risk for treatment failure, compared with men randomized to ADT alone. See    https://tinyurl.com/ycdoejo9 .  I had several years of success with the LHRH agonist Lupron every six month 45mg dose, the 5Alpha Reductase inhibitor dutasteride/Avodart 0.5mg daily, and addition of abiraterone/Zytiga 1000mg accompanied by its required 5mg Prednisone twice a day. When both Zytiga and a try with Xtandi/enzalutamide instead also was showing failure I moved to a personal trial of which I won't explain since it is not the norm, but so far has shown promise to me.  Once I conclude it can be long lasting protocol, I might then explain to all.  

My name is Hal Lucas.  Yes I am still on Eligard.

Thank you, Hal!  You (and others reading) may find interest in visiting my website www.theprostateadvocate.com including taking a look on my "Observations" webpage there. This could be called "Getting to Know Me!"

Archived