Recovery from chemo

DiRi

My husband is nearly 4 weeks post 6 treatments of Doxetaxel.  I have written a bit about his case in "my story" his psa was down to 13  3 days after his last chemo and his onc was happy enough with that - it was originally 100 earlier this year.  He had a six monthly injection of Lucrin which is due to expire soon and his onc wants him to have a 3 monthly injection of Zolodex going forward as he feels it is more effective.

What concerns me is how he is feeling at the moment.  He has some mets and one in his lower spine and pelvis and is very uncomfortable at present so still taking Targin mainly in the evening when it all catches up with him.

I would be interested to here how recovery from chemo has gone for those who've had treatment.  The oncologist said that if pain not gone 8 weeks post chemo, he wants to look at doing some more radium. 

Thanks

Hi there

I am 71 and had 7 infusions of docetaxel earlier this year finishing at the end of July.  My PSA was around 45 when it started and it plateaued at about 20.  I to have mets in my spine although I am not suffering any pain.  Getting off chemo was a relief and I am feeling fine.  My PSA was up to about 50 5 weeks ago and since then I have started on Xtandi - which I am tolerating quite well.  I continue to take Zoladex which I have been on for the past 5 or so years.  Radium was not offered to me - but it may be more relevant for your man for pain relief.  I have no experience with Targin.  My onc has talked about having a crack at the met at C6/7 and I have had scans and a MRI to check it out - it has been there for a number of years and is a few mm form my spinal cord - Maybe he will have a look at it in next year.  But has ask me to be vigilant to any pain or loss of function due to this met.

Chalkie 

Thanks Chalkie - I guess we will have to wait and see whether the coming weeks bring some relief.  He didn't have the level of pain before the chemo so it is strange that it has caused so much discomfort.  I hope you have some good results with the Xtandi - take care

• 1 month later...

My father, Barry takes opiates like morphine for his pain. He did have a time after his 12 doses of Docetaxel where the spine pain was unrelenting and he had radiation treatment to ease it. He is a lot better with that pain now. He has to decide if he will take Cabazitaxel chemo now or not as the former chemo stopped having any effect. 

I have pain from hormone therapy after breast cancer and for bone pain I take a daily high dose magnesium which really helps. For some reason, Claratyne also stops bone aches. 

Archived