Androcur for Hot Flashes

Nev Black

A number of our members have reported using Androcur for hot flashes.

My hormone treatment was with Zoladex but I first started on androcur 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after Zoladex start. It definitely stooped Zoladex flare and my hot flushes for that first month. However, this is not a drug for long term use. Read Wikipedia and be aware that it is a banned drug in the USA. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just mentioned in the other thread that Androcur has definitely stopped the flashes.

On 20/05/2017 at 4:35 PM, Euan said:

... Read Wikipedia and be aware that it is a banned drug in the USA. 

Who knows why that's the case as the Wiki article doesn't explain it.  I wish it did. The article does say it's been in use since 1973 and it's widely available throughout the world.

Perhaps in the US the cost has something to do with it.  My pharmacist says the cost to the PBS is a bit over a $1000 per dose.

When I first researched this, several years ago now, I could not find out why the FDA banned Androcur as it was many years before. Price is not a consideration for the FDA any more than with the TGA here. I see that France is also about to ban it and the problem seems to be liver function. For hot flushes Androcur does work exceedingly well but for long term use there are better options.

At the 2016 PCRI annual patient conference in Los Angeles, USA, I asked world expert doctors what they recommended for hot flashes.

World renowned Medical Oncologist Dr Snuffy Myers 
told us that for his men with hot flash problems he uses oestrogen patches, and changes them every three and a half days.
Dr Mark Moyad, who knows more about supplements than any other man in the world
said he recommends Magnesium Sulphate or flax seed. Thats the seed, definitely not flax seed oil.

This is an excerpt from my video:

6 Reasons to go to a PCRI Prostate Cancer Conference: 

Androcur is often used short term.

But, this study seems to suggest there are better choices in the long term to boost hormone therapy (ADT).

11 hours ago, Admin said:

At the 2016 PCRI annual patient conference in Los Angeles, USA, I asked world expert doctors what they recommended for hot flashes.

World renowned Medical Oncologist Dr Snuffy Myers 
told us that for his men with hot flash problems he uses oestrogen patches, and changes them every three and a half days.
Dr Mark Moyad, who knows more about supplements than any other man in the world
said he recommends Magnesium Sulphate or flax seed. Thats the seed, definitely not flax seed oil.

I asked my medical oncologist about oestrogen patches after the conference.   He was pretty emphatic against using them due to the high risk of blood clotting. 

Steve

11 hours ago, Admin said:

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

F ind most of the comments regarding Androcur, as treatment for Hot Flushes or Flashes as seems to be the most common reference here, somewhat bemusing in my experience! Having been on Androcur for 12 continuous years I experienced SEVERE Hot Flushes for a majority of that time. I have been left with ENLARGED BREASTS, SOFTER BODY HAIR ALL OVER, NOT QUITE A "SQUEAKY VOICE: as yet!! LOL. ALL of these would appear to be common side effects of Androcur!!

Archived