Darby

Lucrin Depot 3 Months + 100mg daily Androcur

Darby

Quick summary:  Radical Prostatectomy  2000, 30 radiation treatments 2007, 30 radiation treatments Dec/Jan 2015/2016 following PMSA Pet scan (no bone metastases)

Three months ago after my PSA doubled over 3 months  to 1.2, my oncologist started me on Lucrin Depot 3 Months . The hot flashes started pretty soon after and progressively they got worse. They were exacerbated by stress/anxiety thoughts and situations and also by simply changing which side I was lying on in bed which I do several times a night.  I also started experiencing some depression which I think was due in some part to tiredness from the hot flashes and night time trips to the bathroom. (PSA test two weeks ago showed PSA and testosterone to be 0)

Last Thursday my oncologist started me on daily doses of 100mg Androcur which he said often helps control the flashes.

Is this an unusual combination of treatments?  I haven't found anything

Kezza2

Thats a bit weird.  They usually give you Androcur for a couple of weeks before they start Lucrin to stop the flare up in PSA.  It is not a combination I have heard of before.  Check what each is supposed to do, eg LHRH antagonists, but I think maybe they do the same thing.  Maybe the Onc is replacing Lucrin with Androcur ??  I have been on Lucrin since 2000 and still get hot flushes, but they are less severe, and tend to be just when I go to bed.

Charles (Chuck) Maack

More often Androcur, as noted by Kezza2, is started ten days to two weeks before injecting Lucrin to prevent the flare effect that occurs with initial Lucrin causing a period of increased testosterone production until leydig cells in the testis are worn down from the Lucrin effect and testosterone production by the testis/leydig cells pretty much shut down, and then continued as part of the androgen deprivation treatment.  Thus, Lucrin shuts down testicular production of testosterone, Androcur is primarily prescribed to block androgen receptors on cancer cells from testosterone access (your adrenal glands still produce a small amount of testosterone not effected by Lucrin.  In short, yes, both Lucrin and Androcur can be part of androgen deprivation. 

• Like 1

Darby

Thanks for your answers.  The onco gave me the prescription for the Androcur and for the next two shots of Lucrin at the same time.

" In short, yes, both Lucrin and Androcur can be part of androgen deprivation." 

Good to know.  Thanks again.

Sisira

Yes, Chuck is correct. I was diagnosed only in March 2015. I received the same combination continuously for 2 years, called ADT2 but the brand names of the drugs were different. Zoladex + Calutide ( Bicalutamide ). Same action as he has explained. This was after my RP followed by IMRT. Quite impressive. You are talking after 17 years! What was your PCa staging, Gleason Score and the PSA at diagnosis?

Good luck

tonymax

Darby,I had an unsuccessful prostatectomy in 2003 and started on continuous Lucrin that year and still on it. My PSA was still 6 after surgery and Gleason 8 - scans clean. Had some mild hot flushes early on but nothing much now. I gather Androcur may help with the flushes but can also play havoc with psychology and depression with some guys - based on feedback, I have never used the stuff. My PSA bottomed at 0.07 on the Lucrin but had risen to 70 by mid 2014 - CT scan showed tumour right pelvic lymph node but rest clean and bone scan clean. Added Enzalutamide then and PSA now down to 1 - so the roller coaster continues.

Tony Maxwell

Darby
15 hours ago, Sisira said:

.... What was your PCa staging, Gleason Score and the PSA at diagnosis?

Good luck

PSA 9  (3+4)7 and Stage T2a

Thank you.

Darby
13 hours ago, tonymax said:

..... I gather Androcur may help with the flushes but can also play havoc with psychology and depression with some guys,.... PSA now down to 1 - so the roller coaster continues.

Tony Maxwell

It never ends, does it, Tony?  Just looking through my very thick folder of test results, treatment etc has brought a lot of memories flooding back, and not pleasant ones.

The doc did warn me about the possibility of depression and as I have a long and often serious history of 'the black dog', he's asked me to see my GP about medication.

The flashes are driving me nuts so I hope the Androcur does help soon (this is only the 4th day).  I have to 5 or more some nights and they seem to be getting stronger.  Each trip to the bathroom generates one when I get back into bed and changing sides most often starts one too.  And it's embarrassing sometimes.  In the local papershop last Friday the lady asked me what was wrong as my face was flushed and I was covered in perspiration. If I'm ever interviewed by the cops they'll presume guilt immediately!   :)

Edited by Darby
grammar and spelling

tonymax

If Lucrin is giving these problems might be worth looking at alternatives Zoladex, Eligard etc

Have heard comments in the past that Lucrin can be difficult for some guys re side effects.

Stronger treatments like Enzalutamide or Abiraterone may be worth considering if none of above work - if you can get access to them. Pre chemo Enzalutamide was rejected by PBS for second time a month or so ago. I understand Astellas is resubmitting in a month or so's time - maybe they will be successful then. I am getting Enzalutamide on a clinical trial. Oncologists may have other ways of accessing it. Obviously however the flushes are the main current problem.

Maybe there are alternatives to Androcur if it does not help with the flushes or is too difficult re depression etc

Tony Maxwell

Charles (Chuck) Maack

For those concerned about Hot Flashes/Flushes, please open and consider suggestions in this paper:

HOT FLASHES: http://tinyurl.com/mw8klaj  

MBarry

Hi, I was prescribed a low dose of Procur (Cyproterone Acetate) 2 months ago 1 x 50 mg daily for hot flushes and it has worked brilliantly. No side effects to report. I think Procur is NZ name for Androcur. 

Darby
1 hour ago, MBarry said:

Hi, I was prescribed a low dose of Procur (Cyproterone Acetate) 2 months ago 1 x 50 mg daily for hot flushes and it has worked brilliantly. No side effects to report. I think Procur is NZ name for Androcur. 

That's great news.  How long did it take to work?

Darby
1 hour ago, Charles (Chuck) Maack said:

For those concerned about Hot Flashes/Flushes, please open and consider suggestions in this paper:

HOT FLASHES: http://tinyurl.com/mw8klaj  

Thanks for the link.  I'll read that tonight/

Darby

One thing I did forget to mention (and I can't believe I missed it) is that I have lost all sense of smell and almost all taste (with come changes such as smooth Merlot now has a bitterish taste).  It takes hot chilli, lots of Vegemite etc to give me any sensation of taste.

My doc didn't have much to say on this, and I can't find any mention of the losses related Lucrin, but there is some association of it with Lupron.

By the way, my doc chose Lucrin because of the free exercise program (ManPlan) which I haven't availed myself of yet.

MBarry

re  Procur. It took about a week to 10 days to notice a really positive change.

Darby
1 hour ago, MBarry said:

re  Procur. It took about a week to 10 days to notice a really positive change.

Thank you.

Darby
On 21/05/2017 at 1:24 PM, Darby said:

...... I have lost all sense of smell and almost all taste (with some changes such as smooth Merlot now has a bitterish taste).  It takes hot chilli, lots of Vegemite etc to give me any sensation of taste....

Sorry to repost this, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with ADT (Lucrin in my case)?

Darby

Just thought it was time to check in and report that the daily Androcur tablet has stopped the flashes which were driving me nuts.  It's a great relief.

Having the second Lucrin 3 monthly injection next Friday and I'm hoping that it doesn't cause a recurrence.

Colin Glover

Hi Darby I hope your doing much better. I felt I had to say something. I started on Lucrin a year ago today. My adverse reaction has been minimal. No hot flushes except maybe a little in bed sometimes. Psa has continued to drop 3.6 last time. However I took up the Manplan soon after and continue to do it at home.

It has been very beneficial and I'm sure its played a big part in my success so far. Very little weight gain, largely muscle. One thing that we have done for the last 6 and a half years, since my wife's brain tumor discovery, is make a juice of beetroot, carrot, celery, ginger and apples every second morning. I'm sure that has been of great benefit with other changes in our life style. Inspite of my  restricted bladder capacity etc my kidneys are first rate, constipation is not really too much of an issue  and BP is 120/60.

So following an exercise program has been positive for me.

Cheers