Lucrin Depot 3 Months + 100mg daily Androcur

Darby

35 minutes ago, Charles (Chuck) Maack said:

When anyone is prescribed Androcur the physician should be providing the patient information to understand this medication, its uses, AND its side effects.  With that in mind, please take the time to read info in this paper:

https://tinyurl.com/ycyyhpcn

My oncologist did give me a printed brochure and I did my own research when I first prescribed Androcur.  I stopped taking it in April this both on my doctor's recommendation and my own decision.

Cheers.

Good! And pleased to learn your oncologist DID provide you the information!

I can understand Lucrin bringing your PSA down to <0.01ug/L (same as ng/ml), but I cannot recall EVER seeing Lucrin bringing testosterone down to <0.01 nmol/L (which would mean <0.2884 ng/dl).  For me, yours would be a first.

Charles,

I had my first Lucrin injection on the March 6, 2017.

Here are the testosterone results before and after that first injection.

Date format is dd/mm/yy :   (nmol/L)   13/7/16  15.1   10/10/16 10.8  01/02/17 16.6   03/05/17  <0.01 (and everyone since)

Hello Darby, Those numbers sound more like PSA results.

My Oncologist told me last visit that my testosterone was 1.8 up from 1.7 two years previous.

When I asked what is normal for a man I was told 8 and that with my PSA undetectable and the low testosterone number, that is where they want those numbers to be.

Kevin,

The corresponding PSA tests done at the same time as the above were (Lucrin begun 6/3/17 which took just a month to lower both readings to <0.01)

ug/L  13/7.16   0.33   10/10/16  0.48   01/02/17  1.1   03/05/17  <0.01  (and everyone since).

psa2.JPG

Darby,

The only reason I queried the shown testosterone numbers was because my Oncologist said that the max. number for a man is 8. 

I just googled testosterone numbers for Australia and it says numbers a lot higher than what I was told.

I will ask the question again when I next visit the hospital.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Regards

Hi Darby,

On Androcur, my urologist prescribed it for me, but it played havoc with my brain so we dropped it after two weeks and went to Lucrin instead.

On your low testosterone levels, they are certainly cause for concern.  While low levels certainly help with PCa control, I would be concerned that such low levels may cause further side effects, such as decreasing bone mineral density and possible changes to the LDL / HDL make-up of your cholesterol.  I am guessing your med onc is well aware of this, and after 18 months on Lucrin has probably scheduled you for a bisphosphonate infusion to stregthen your bones.  Be aware that one of them, Zometa, can give you short term side effects (like the worst flu you ever had) and should be administered over an extended time through the drip.

Keep up the good fight

Kerry

No apology necessary, Kevin.  🙂   We have to take in so much info when dealing with  PCa that it can be confusing.  If my wife didn't come along to my appointments, I would forget half what the doctor said.

Kerry,

Thanks for the info none of which I was aware of.   I've taken notes and will discuss it with my oncologist at the next appt.

Regards,

Ron

Archived