Statin to lengthen the time effectiveness of ADT

dcmit

I have been on Androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) since day one for metastatic prostate cancer and which is now approaching two years.  This makes me one of few men for which ADT has continued  to be effective for so long in the United States.  About fifteen months ago I found this study article and started taking daily dose of 10 mg. of Atorvastatin.  I do not know if this is why ADT still works for me but others should know of this little reported study article.

Statin Therapy May Help Delay Prostate Cancer Progression in Men Receiving ADT 25 Sept 2015 make concise.docx

I was on statins for cholesterol well before my prostate cancer diagnosis (PSA 6, Gleason 8) and unsuccessful prostatectomy in 2003. Have been on Lucrin ADT continuously since (PSA nadir 0.07). Added Cosudex and Nilutamide in about 2012 when Lucrin failed. By mid 2014 my PSA reached 70. Got onto clinical trial where everyone got Enzalutamide in first stage. PSA now 1.5 and still falling. I continued on statins through all this and will do so into the future. I still take Lucrin as well. One result does not prove anything but my experience does not contradict your comments.

Like dcmit and tonymax, I too have been on Statins since 2oo5 with a diagnosis of mCRPC 8/01/2000.

But I do beleive the heart may get me, caused by long term use medication which creates  cardio Risk Factors.

As we know cancer diagnoses is not a death sentence it is a life sentence  where none of know the  terminus location.

Russ.

Are there any research doctors that are members of this web site?  Russ has survived more than sixteen years with a diagnosis of mCRPC.  Russ what treatments are you on or have been on?  You state you started Statins about eleven years ago.  What is your lifestyle, diet, and supplements you are taking if any.  I would think researchers would be interested your longevity with mCRPC, your genetics, and your biochemistry.  The two other men I know here in the US with a diagnosis of mCRPC both failed a treatment regiment every four to five months and started another with a further reduction in live quality.  One died at about the four year point and the other has spreading metastases within the skeletal frame with bone pain as he approaches three years since diagnosis.  Neither were or are taking a Statin.

I was diagnosis with metastatic prostate cancer by PET and CT radio-logical scans prompted by a PSA tests that doubled from 20 to 40 in three weeks.  The PET and CT scans were ordered on emergency basis by my oncologist while my urologist wanted to proceed from biopsy and go from there.  I started Lupron and Zometa (for the bone marrow cancer) in early December 2014 (PSA had risen to 90+).  Casodex was added in May 2015 (PSA had dropped to aroung 50.  After reading the report I uploaded in my original post, I started the Statin in early October 2015 (PSA had now dropped to about 43).  My PSA had dropped to 21 by August 2016.  Life style changes:  workout seriously three time a week, removed a lot of sugar from diet, added more vegetables and fruits, and take some supplements that are supposed to have anticancer properties.

The question I have for the Group is:  Are most of you on some ADT therapy plan that includes a Statin?

To tonynax and Russ,

Thanks for you comments on your experience with Statins and the two similar topics presented on statins and prostate cancer.  I am now reading other topic posts available to members.  Thank you for this web site.  Most of the US Medical data available readily to me seems to indicate death in about four years after a the diagnosis becomes Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer (mCRPC) (I have also found the Prostate Cancer Groups in the Meto DC area are not for those who have advanced to metastatic prostate cancer or to mCRPC).

Sincerely,

dcmit

dcmit,  If you're looking for a US support group for men who have advanced prostate cancer, you may be interested in the virtual support group calls conducted by the Answer Cancer Foundation (formerly the Reluctant Brotherhood): http://www.ancan.org/support-calls

A number of us from this forum occasionally join in their teleconference.  It's a source of good information and support.

Their next teleconference is Monday 11/7/16  5.00pm PDT, 6.00pm MDT, 7.00pm CDT, 8.00pm EDT

Archived