Paul Edwards

Researchers asked prostate cancer patients to fill in an online questionnaire on their mood in relation to the prostate cancer treatments they had received.   Their results showed that, compared to patients not on ADT, ADT does indeed negatively affect the mood of men, most notably increasing their sense of fatigue and decreasing their sense of vigor.

The authors also asked partners of patients to rate the patients’ moods. The partners reported similar declines in the patient’s mood that the patients reported, but to a greater degree than the patients themselves. Often our partners know us better than we know ourselves.

Van Dam D, Wassersug RJ, Hamilton LD. Androgen deprivation therapy’s impact on the mood of prostate cancer patients as perceived by patients and the partners of patients. Psycho-Oncology 2015; [epub ahead of print] 31 August 2015. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26332203

These moods should be anticipated IF the prescribing physician provides an explanation to both patient and spouse/partner of the side effects that may be experienced when prescribed ADT medications.   With foreknowledge we are better able to cope with as well as determine remedies to counter at least some of those side effects.  Unfortunately, there are too many physicians who apparently fail to take into considerations these effects may have on their patient.  Awareness/knowledge helps us get through most of the side effects of treatment despite the discomfort they may cause.  I compiled a paper in this regard several years ago in my own earlier days of ADT that I continue to be treated from 1996 to the present:  http://tinyurl.com/3p9pl3p

Archived