Neuropathy and Chemotherapy?

I was dIagnosed 6 years ago with Gleeson 7, 7 of 12 positive biopsy PSA 9 and decided to have RP on Urologists advice - usual story at that time.

18 months post op rising PSA started on Lucrine (and I am still on 4 monthly injection ) after 18 months rising PSA led to 36 radiation treatments but last December showed bone metastasis so decision made to start chemotherapy ( Taxatore) 3 weekly with the aim of 10 treatments.

Having completed 5 treatments with some acceptable side affects, recent CT scan confirmed reduction in nodes, PSA down from 69 to 15 but showing some new bone tumours in a recent bone scan.

I am concerned with what I understand to be Nueropathy which has started in soles of my feet, sort of like small peebles but nothing there.

On reading chemo induced Nueropathy articles I also have weakening in legs and am concerned this will advance.

Has anyone experience with chemo induced Nueropathy (CIPN) any advice welcome as I am considering stopping chemo and move to option of Enzalutamide?

Roger

G'day Roger, I was also diagnosed 6 years ago, Gleason 9, RP, Chemo, Radiation, Intermittent Hormone Therapy so we have followed a similar path just a different order and I have always known the cancer was 'out'.  It is 5 years since Chemo and the soles of my feet still feel slightly numb.  Enough that I am always aware of it.  My Father In Law had a different cancer and different chemo, but when in bare feet he was always checking his feet because they always felt like he had socks on, including his ankles.

I have experienced the weakened legs and took a soft tumble a couple of times chasing my grandson but not in recent years.  All treatments have side effects, the best thing about this is that they haven't gotten worse over time, they appeared and then stayed, apart from the leg weakness where the leg felt like it suddenly disappeared a couple of times.

Ian

Hello Roger,

i am providing three papers on the subject of chemotherapy among which you may find answers to your concerns and what you are experiencing with your current treatment:

Chemotherapy Considerations when docetaxel/Taxotere Failing:* http://tinyurl.com/3lrg4wo

Chemotherapy in your future? See this paper regarding docetaxel/Taxotere: http://tinyurl.com/la4kqz5

CHEMOTHERAPY SIDE EFFECTS:* http://tinyurl.com/3rlkuqx

Hi Roger -I have also started taxotere after nearly 10 years of hormone therapy -only early days for me with 2 infusions but handling it ok my advice is to keep doing it whilst it is working as this treatment is only OK when you are healthy -the side effects will go over time -keep the less toxic options till later-my PSA was 37 at start of taxotere so still too early to see whether or not it was working -my original glesson was 4+4 and PSA 24 -no RP or radiation as metastatic from day 1

Guest Jim and Sandy Stevens

Hi Roger, I am replying to you as my husband Jim  is not computer savvy. Jim developed neuropathy to his feet and legs after his one and only course of chemotherapy treatment. It showed up as progressive numbness in his lower limbs (one leg more affected than the other). Whilst his treatment and disease progression has been different from yours, he is now in the final stage of prostate cancer with extended metastases to bones.

Despite this he is quite well and in no pain. He is 82 and he does not have expectations of being as well as he was even 10 years ago.

Jim has had to stop his energetic daily 3-4 km walk after developing some discomfort in one foot when he walks, but he continues to do resistance exercises daily with weights to maintain physical strength.

He is not at all worried about dying, but quality of life is a priority for him.

He believes that what has been most helpful in keeping him as well as possible is a diet loosely based on the scientific side of a book called The prostate care cookbook by Margaret Rayman, Kay Dilley and Kay Gibbons. The diet requirements are very heavy duty on onions, garlic, cooked tomatoes and fish with which he makes up to his own taste at least once a day.

Regarding the neuropathy he uses a circulation booster twice a day because he finds it helpful, plus an occasional rub with Voltaren emugel on the foot area which is tender. He has learned to pace and to be kind to himself as fatigue is his main problem. I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Sandy

Roger, I was not aware of the problem of neuropathy with your type of chemotherapy, so I am learning.

the other reports are of sensory, but not motor = muscular weakness. Charles Maack's information might include that.

The appearance of "new bone tumours" in the recent study while the PSA has fallen could be PCa not producing PSA, or a different type of cancer.

The appearance of the deposits on the bone scan do not differentiate another cancer type from PCa, whereas X-rays studies often differentiate between the possibilities.

Be that as it may, it would seem appropriate to ask your Medical Oncologist whether there is another explanation for the muscle weakness, should the "new bone tumours" be in the vertebrae.

Best wishes,

Bruce Kynaston.

(I am not giving medical advice, but merely suggesting a question to ask your Doc..)

Hi all

Thank you all for your responses and interest- quite overwhelming and assuring.

I will absorb comments and sites for info,I have a very accessible oncologist who is very caring and I plan to meet this week and talk it all through.

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger,

i am providing three papers on the subject of chemotherapy among which you may find answers to your concerns and what you are experiencing with your current treatment:

Chemotherapy Considerations when docetaxel/Taxotere Failing:* http://tinyurl.com/3lrg4wo

Chemotherapy in your future? See this paper regarding docetaxel/Taxotere: http://tinyurl.com/la4kqz5

CHEMOTHERAPY SIDE EFFECTS:* http://tinyurl.com/3rlkuqx

Hi Chuck

Thank you all informative info and appreciated.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger -I have also started taxotere after nearly 10 years of hormone therapy -only early days for me with 2 infusions but handling it ok my advice is to keep doing it whilst it is working as this treatment is only OK when you are healthy -the side effects will go over time -keep the less toxic options till later-my PSA was 37 at start of taxotere so still too early to see whether or not it was working -my original glesson was 4+4 and PSA 24 -no RP or radiation as metastatic from day 1

Thanks Billy

I started to get the Nueropathy after 4th treatment, worth keepinng ,an eye on?

Good wishes

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger,

I spoke to the wife who had chemo for breast cancer two years ago, and she still has the symptoms you described.  Our oncologist blames the chemo, plus she has to take anastrozole tablets (Arimidex) daily which could be contributing.  I spent 15 years post external beam radiation on Lucrin depot intermittently, but that has stopped working, so Taxotare is next for me  too.  Nice to know what is in store for me .

Keep well

Kerry

Roger, I would like to keep in touch with you during your continuing journey.  Please email me for contact to maack1@cox.net 

Always as close as the other end of your computer to help address any prostate cancer concerns.

www.theprostateadvocate.com 

Hi Roger,

I spoke to the wife who had chemo for breast cancer two years ago, and she still has the symptoms you described.  Our oncologist blames the chemo, plus she has to take anastrozole tablets (Arimidex) daily which could be contributing.  I spent 15 years post external beam radiation on Lucrin depot intermittently, but that has stopped working, so Taxotare is next for me  too.  Nice to know what is in store for me .

Keep well

Kerry

Hi Kerry

I meet with oncologist next Tuesday (6th treatment possibly) and am going to discuss fully options so will post discussion post visit.

Cheers

Roger

Good Afternoon Roger,

I do empathise with you as I'm presently on a chemo holiday having had 6 sessions of docetaxel with my last one in early Feb, having commenced in mid October. Initially side effects were insignificant but by the 3rd/4th session the peripheral neuropathy (toes, pads of both feet and occasionally fingers) was rearing its ugly head along with intermittent pain in both legs although predominantly the RL, occurring any where from the ankle to the hip. At times the pain was very severe. I also experienced wobbly knees* between the 5 & 6th. sessions as well as being extremely tired. Hence the chemo holiday which my Oncologist put me on to see if a break would improve my well being. Unfortunately not noticeably. Mid march my left leg suddenly gave way when I was walking on the beach at Yamba. I was winded when I hit the sand but got going again when a wave washed over me. My last PSA was 2.7 and when I commenced chemo it was 4.9. Will get more results tomorrow when I see my Oncologist and here a medical point of view whether the chemo has been worthwhile or not. (Doubtful) I least I can now obtain Zytiga via the PBS if and when required.

Diagnosed in July 2008 with a PSA of 126 and rising. Gleason 4+4 with secondaries in Lumbar and thoracic spine. Right shoulder and a couple of ribs. ADT treatment was Zoladex intermittently and Zometa every 6wks. Had 4wks radiotherapy to pelvis and Right shoulder for pain management in Feb/ Mar 2009 which was only successful for a very short period. Pain was brought under control with great assistance from a Palliative Care Consultant and Fentanyl patches 50mcr/ hour in March 2012 which was a big improvement in my quality of life! Highest PSA since commenced treatment was 7. As someone has already mentioned everybody responds differently to treatment. If you would like to have a chat feel free to give me a call phone or Skype. Numbers under members list. All the very best. Cheers

David

Archived