A novel way to isolate Circulating Tumour Cells

A team of engineers from MIT, Penn State University, and Carnegie Mellon University is developing a novel way to isolate Circulating Tumour Cells: using sound waves to separate them from blood cells.

There are news reports about this development here and here

There is no obvious mention of the site from which the blood sample was takem so one assumes the vein in front of the elbow, or similar.

That being so, it is obvious that the average cancer cell has passed two capillary beds, namely those of the lung and the distal forearm. Such a cell may never form a metastasis.

Also, a PCa cell has to be accompanied by a normal prostate support cell, as from the tissue under the prostate gland cells.

This I heard from two independent Australian researchers, while in the presence of Dr. Miranda Xhilaga, Manager of PCFA Research Committee, of which I was a member at the time. 

It is good to know the cells can be isolated, but the value is uncertain.

Bruce Kynaston.

One potential use of Circulating Tumour Cells might be as a biomarker of disease progression.  I understand that researchers at Memorial Sloane Kettering are investigating this.

The presence of a large number of Circulating Tumour Cells in the blood might confirm aggressive disease and the disappearance of  these during treatment would be a very favourable response.

Archived